Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Top Shelf --Books for Adults

Most of the books I will share on this blog will be for children. Occasionally I will post "The Top Shelf," adult books that pertain to early literacy, reading, play, etc. This will depend on how often I actually have a chance to read a book on this topic, but I am optimistic. I'd like this blog to be a place for people to come and find easy, fun ways to encourage a love of reading in children. When I find a good book that assists in that, I'll share it. Here's the first.


The Oppenheim Toy Portfolio's Read It! Play It! with Babies and Toddlers. (Building literacy through reading and play!) by Joanne and Stephanie Oppenheim; Illustrated by Joan Auclair. (c) 2006; 103 pgs.
The Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, it is an independent review guide to children's media (books, toys, video, etc.). According to the back cover, Joanne Oppenheim is the author of more than 50 books for and about children and is a first and second grade teacher. Stephanie Oppenheim is a child development expert and co-author of the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio.



I discovered this book at the library when I was looking for new ideas for playing with my 6 month old daughter. I already read to her, sing, and do fingerplays and bouncy rhymes. But it's nice to have more material for variety and to help us play developmentally appropriate games. This short and accessible book was just what I was looking for.

There are two sections: "First books for babies and young toddlers" and "First little stories and concept books." 50+ books for children are spotlighted. Following each book, there are songs, rhymes and age appropriate activities. A brief "What They Learn" is included after each Read it!/Play it! spread.

The activities and explanations are fun and simple. Each can be done to extend the enjoyment of a particular book, but they all stand alone. There are ideas of games to play at meals or bathtime, just about anytime. I especially liked the tips that explained when/why a game is developmentally appropriate. For example, babies learn object permanence around 8 months old, so that's when peekaboo usually starts being especially fun. So, if you are looking for ways to play with your baby at different ages and stages, or just want some fun games to play, this book may help.

This book is also available in Spanish. A companion book is Read it! Play it! for Kids 3-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment