Monday, August 22, 2011

If You're Happy and You Know it, Clap Your Hands

Sometimes I clap out the ABC song or a nursery rhyme. Emily usually looks at me fascinated when I do this. But then something else catches her attention and we are on to the next thing. Today, she smiled and was watching intently. As soon as I stopped, she gave her squeal that means "Do it again!" So, I did.
She watched (and listened) and as soon as I was done -- squeal! (She shakes her whole body as she does it, so cute!) I can imagine her wanting to clap along. I sang the ABC's several times then, Pease Porridge Hot. Each time as soon as I was done, she insisted I keep going.

We mixed it up with a version of Hickory Dickory Dock. It went like this.
"Hickory Dickory Dock" (Clap on each word)
"The mouse ran up the clock" (tickle her arm up toward her head)
"The clock struck one" (Clap once)
"The mouse ran down" (tickle arm down from shoulder to fingers)
"Hickory Dickory Dock" (Clap on each word)

Repeat with the clock striking two, three, etc.

Clapping while singing or doing nursery rhymes has a number of early literacy and developmental benefits. It gets the child's attention so she will focus on your words. It can be done on a steady beat, promoting rhythm, or on each syllable. Doing it on the syllables can help teach phonological awareness, an important skill. But mostly it is more fun that way.

So the next time you sing a song or recite a nursery rhyme, try clapping it out. Your child might just clap along.

No comments:

Post a Comment