Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tickles, Giggles, and Bouncy Rhymes

It's a joyful day when you hear your child laugh for the first time. Once you hear it, you want to hear it over and over. And then the quest is on, to find what else will make her laugh.

Emily loves bouncy rides. One of my favorites is to the tune of "The Mulberry Bush." I put her on my lap and gently bounce.
"This is the way the baby rides,
Baby rides, baby rides
This the way the baby rides
Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy."

Sometimes it's surprising what will make her laugh. I also do "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" as a bouncy rhyme and she thinks it's ridiculously funny. (Who would have thought?!)

A new one she likes is a tickle rhyme~
"There once was a bumblebee under the barn
(circle finger in air closer and closer to baby)
carrying dinner under his arm
and when he got there he went "Bzzzzzz!" (tickle baby)

Bouncy and tickle rhymes are great ways to have some together time when we are sitting on the porch enjoying the weather or when she is tired of playing with toys and wants to be held. I like variety, so when I was on my quest to find more lap games, I discovered this CD.
'Round and 'Round the Garden: Music in My First Year! is one of several collections by John M. Feierabend and Luann Saunders. It has over 60 rhymes and songs for playing with baby. According to the insert, they have been collected "from the memories of our parents and grandparents, in hopes that these treasures will be preserved for future generations." In addition to bouncy and tickle rhymes, there are "wiggles" (done while wiggling baby's toes or fingers), tapping and clapping songs, and lullabies. While your voice is the most exciting to baby, having a CD is a great way to learn the words and melodies. Or you can have laptime and play along with the CD. I was reminded of some old classics and found some new favorites.

How do you make your little one laugh? Any lap games to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment