Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Today would have been Dr. Seuss's 108th birthday.

In honor of today, here is a Seuss book we enjoy. I thought I knew most of his work, but I had never heard of this one.

 My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss, (paintings by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher) is an introduction to feelings for a young child. It is told in the delightfully positive way for which Seuss is known. Each day is a different color/emotion/animal. We have the board book version, and while it's not very concrete for a very little ones, neither are emotions. In some ways the actions and associations ground emotions while still being silly and lyrical. I love the language in it, it's one I don't get tired of reading to her. For now she likes the color in it. I can imagine when she's older asking, "Are you having a yellow day ('a busy, buzzy bee')?" or a "Green day ('cool and quiet fish')?"

As for today, have a "Bright Red Day" and "kick your heels" for Dr. Seuss's birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment